Register / Login
Fly to Australia with Air New Zealand
Queensland on sale
Cruises on sale.
All on sale.
Club Med - All Inclusive
UK & Europe
USA & Canada
South Africa & Middle East
Business Class flights
Special needs or children (2-15yrs) travelling alone?
Stopover or Multi-city? Please fill in this enquiry form.
Need more rooms or children in rooms?
AFRICA | ASIA | AUSTRALIA | PACIFIC ISLANDS | THE AMERICAS | UK & EUROPE
Until sold out
4 nights & 3 day canoe hire from
per person share twinAsk about flights & rental car
FLEXIBLE BOOKING TERMS
> Book now with a $50pp deposit*
> Full payment not due until 18 days prior to travel
If you are short of time or have little paddling experience this is the trip for you. This trip starts in the most beautiful and scenic part of the river. You will be amazed as you paddle through the centre of the Whanganui National Park passing through pristine native bush, deep gorges covered with ferns, caves, and rapids.
The Whanganui River is classed as one of the Great Walks of New Zealand and this section we highlight is great for beginner paddlers, as you will have a bit more time to learn to paddle before entering any rapids.
✔ 2 nights accommodation at The Park Hotel Ruapehu in a King Room (pre and post river journey)
✔ 2 nights accommodation on the Whanganui River in DOC huts
✔ 3 Day self-guided Whanganui River Journey with canoe hire, maps, barrels, life jackets and client briefing
✔ Transport from National Park to Whakahoro and returning from Pipriki back to National Park
Ask us about flights and rental car
Whanganui River Canoe Experience
From $399 per person share twin
Travel: 01 Feb- 30 Apr 21
DAY 1: ARRIVE AT NATIONAL PARK
Arrive into National Park Village and check into The Park Hotel, the ideal base to explore this area. National Park is home to three active volcanic mountains and iconic majestic landscapes and we suggest a visit to the Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre to learn about the natural and cultural values of the park.
Today you will be collected from National Park to be taken to Whanganui River Canoes to collect your kayaks, barrels, lift jackets, take part in a safety briefing before you being your first leg on your trip.
Below Whakahoro you enter the scenic middle reaches of the river. Here you will paddle through deep gorges draped in vegetation and often featuring numerous waterfalls after heavy rain. Past Mangapapa Campsite take a long loop around the Kirikiriroa Peninsula before passing Tarepokioere Rapid and then a large overhang known as Tamateas Cave. Please do not enter the cave which is wahi tapu (a scared place). Below Ohauora Campsite enter the long Otaihanga Reach which leads you to your overnight stop at John Coull Hut. To avoid losing your canoe or kayak to possible rising river levels remember to haul it high up on the bank and tie it to something secure.
Distance: 37.5km / 6.5-7 hours
DAY 3: JOHN COULL HUT TO TIEKE HUT
On this section, follow the river as it meanders through bush covered hills and passes the mouths of the Tangarakau and Whangamomona Rivers as they join the Whanganui River. At Mangawaiiti Landing stop paddling for 40 minutes and take the bush walk to the historic Bridge to Nowhere. Back in your canoe continue your trip down stream to Tieke Kainga where you can examine the intricately carved pou whenua and learn about the history of Tieke and the tikanga (protocol) of the marae.
Distance: 29km / 5 hours
The river still has a few surprises to offer on this homeward stretch. You can explore the scenic gorge of the Manganui o te Ao River where it enters the Whanganui river after its journey from the slopes of Mt Ruapehu. The standing waves of the large Ngaporo and Autapu rapids can provide plenty of excitement and perhaps a cool dip on a hot day. As you get close to end of your trip you will pass through farmland and exotic trees. One last rapid, the Paparoa rapid, and you will see the boat ramp below the Pipiriki Village.
You will return to base, hand back all your equipment and we will transfer you back to your accommodation at National Park.
Distance: 21.5km / 4 hours
Please note that full terms and conditions apply - see your House of Travel consultant for details.
* $50pp non-refundable deposit due at time of booking.
• Package price is based on share twin and is priced in New Zealand Dollars. Pricing is correct at the time of submission but is subject to change without notice.
• Valid for travel from 01 Feb to 30 April 2021. Blackout periods may apply.
• Valid for sales until sold out.
• All prices and products are subject to availability at time of reservation.
• Prices may vary due to a number of factors including tax and surcharge increases, exchange rate movements and availability.
• Prices are per person in NZ dollars for cash or cheque purchase only.
• Some surcharges and closeouts may apply. Surcharges may apply over special event periods and over school holidays.
• Inclusions are subject to change based on operational capabilities.
• Note for the river trip it requires a minimum of 2 people due to safety reasons and there is a minimum age of 12 years.
• Cancellation and Amendment fees apply.
• Airfares are not included and are an additional cost. Please ask your House of Travel consultant for the best option to suit your needs.
Quote package code: ANZ204NWJ or Guided option ANZ205DWHAN
HOT Code: CMPNZHOLS20