House of Travel logo

Getting around

Getting around in UK & Europe

    SELF-DRIVE        RAIL       MOTORHOME         READ MORE           

Take to the road.

There’s a lot to be said for having your own wheels on holiday. You can drive down that inviting country lane or cute village you’ve spied. Driving in a foreign country is not so different to driving in New Zealand. You soon get used to driving on the other side, and the major roads let you cover long distances in good time. If you opt for the minor roads, you’ll avoid the tolls and see much more of the countryside. These days you don’t even have to worry about those relationship testing moments where the navigator mutters “I think that was our exit…” as you race past an off ramp. For a little extra, you can have a slightly bossy but very knowledgeable GPS system that’ll tell you exactly how to get to where you’re going. There’s a huge range of car types on offer, and if you’re worried about your carbon footprint you can even opt for a more eco-friendly diesel or hybrid model. If you’re going to be on the road for a longer period of time, you should consider a lease arrangement – you’ll get a brand new car with full factory warranty plus the usual benefits of a rental car such as unlimited kilometres and comprehensive insurance. Once all that’s sorted, you’re ready to hit the road!.

Touring by Rental Car

Driving in the UK Exploring England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales is easy. In the countryside, the roads are excellent, well signposted and largely toll free. Distances between towns are short and driving is on the left-hand side of the road, same as in New Zealand.
In Europe the free wheeling experience becomes more challenging with driving on the right hand side of the road. Don’t be put off, roads and autobahns are well surfaced and clearly signposted. Most major roads do have tolls so it is often cheaper and more scenic to stay on the secondary roads.

Choosing your Rental Car

Take into consideration the size of the vehicle you require. We strongly recommend a minimum 1.4 litre for two adults. If the vehicle is to be used for day touring from a central base and not for transporting your luggage, a smaller vehicle may be adequate. We suggest you book your car before leaving home as this will save money and ensure you get the car of your choice. 
Take into consideration the size of the vehicle you require. We strongly recommend a compact size car for two adults. If the vehicle is to be used for day touring from a central base and not for transporting your luggage, a smaller vehicle may be adequate. We suggest you book your car before leaving home as this will save money and ensure you get the car of your choice.

Things to think about:

• What driver’s licence is needed
• Minimum age requirements (varies from country to country)
• Additional driver fees
• Deposits
• One way rental fees
• Optional equipment eg. child seats, roof racks
• Non waivable excess
• Fuel policy
• Collision Damage Waiver & Theft Protection Insurance are included - you may be offered additional insurance options when you pick up your car

​Learn more about getting around the UK & Europe

Sign up for House of Travel emails: