House of Travel logo

15 Must-Know Iguazu Falls Facts

argentina1
argentina2_o
argentina3
argentina4
argentina5
argentina6

15 Must-Know Iguazu Falls Facts

story by: Anna Sarjeant

You’re in Argentina (or Brazil) and you’re going to visit Iguazu Falls. Well, it’d be foolsome not to!

Nothing can quite prepare you for the sheer enormity of this marvelled UNESCO listed attraction, but we’ve still attempted to list the fall’s best merits. And because we know our audience, we’ve conveyed just how astounding this place is by making Kiwi-relatable rugby comparisons. Here goes:  

  1. Iguazu Falls comprises 275 waterfalls along 2.7km of the Iguazu River. That’s approximately the length of 27 rugby fields.
  2. The highest waterfall reaches 82m, which is the equivalent of 44 Richie McCaws standing head to toe.
  3. The average height of all 275 waterfalls is 64m. Yup, that’s 35 (and a half) Dan Carters.
  4. Argentina boasts about 80% of the waterfalls and Brazil claims the remaining 20%. That’s pretty much the same stats as NZ rugby world cup wins against Aussie ones. Pretty much.
  5. Talking of Oz, Iguazu Falls’ surrounding forest is home to the only marsupial found outside Australia – the opossum.
  6. You’ll also find 2,000 species of plants. 133 different types for every player.
  7. Nature lovers will also love the abundant butterflies, birds and lizards - big ones!
  8. Watch out for Coati, a type of raccoon, they’re naughty (like Quade Cooper) and will steal your lunch in an underhand – Quade-like – manner. 
  9. The Devil’s Throat is the greatest spectacle of Iguazu Falls. Boasting 14 falls, it’s a U-shaped formation flanking both the Argentinian and Brazilian borders; 82m high, 150m wide and 700m long.

    ….That’s a rugby player for every fall. Minus one red carded player. There’s Quade again!

  10. Iguazu Falls is the sixth largest waterfall in the world. And who doesn’t love the number six? Alan Whetton and Jerry Collins would approve.
  11. November to March marks the rainy season. Hey, isn’t that the same as the rugby season?! No. Anyway, at such sodden times, the rate of water flow can reach (12,750 cubic m) per second.
  12. In June 2014, following record rainfall, the rate of flow reached 46,300 cubic metres per second. That’s 108,941176.47 standard-measure Eden Park beers. Every. Single. Second.
  13. The best time to see the waterfall is during spring and fall. In winter the water decreases and the falls aren’t quite as impressive. Like watching the All Blacks… and then France. Ooooh, cheeky.
  14. Iguazu Falls are believed to have formed from a volcanic eruption which left a large crack in the earth. Talking of massive gaps, how far behind are the England wins from All Blacks’ wins?
  15. Another theory is that God wanted to marry Naipí, a reluctant Aborigine girl who escaped by canoe to be with her human lover, Tarobá. God got mad and separated the River Iguazu by creating deep waterfalls – condemning them to an eternal fall.

…Sounds about as far-fetched as an All Blacks defeat at Eden Park.

To sum up, Iguazu Falls are astounding. And huge. Astoundingly huge. We promise you won’t leave disappointed.

Click here for all our South America deals.

Enquire Now

Loader

HOT Privacy Statement

* required fields