If you’re looking for that faultless holiday resort for your family, we’ve highlighted 12 of our customers' favourites. One for each destination we know you love to visit.
1. Fiji: Plantation Island Resort
Not once will you have to deal with bored kids at Plantation Island Resort. Built with families in mind, and fronting a long stretch of white sand, you’re just 16km offshore from Nadi International Airport on Malolo Lailai’s blue lagoon.
From the children’s playground to crèche facilities, Plantation Island is family-centric. The kids’ club will entertain the smaller tots while mum and dad hire a bike and explore the island. Little girls love getting their hair braided, and boys revel in the mini putt putt course. Then there are the three large swimming pools, one with slide, tennis courts and complimentary water sports, from windsurfing to snorkelling. Evening touch rugby and nightly Fijian performances are a regular occurrence, as are delicious child-friendly menus at the in-house restaurant.
Perhaps the most child-engaging aspect of this resort, is the newly built Water Park; an ocean skimming water obstacle course, complete with huge inflatables and an aqua trampoline. Open from 9am – 5pm for guests aged 5-16 years of age. Unlucky, dad.
• Great value for money for families
• The Kids waterpark is a favourite attraction and keeps the kids entertained for hours. Free for children 5-16 years inclusive
• Free Coconut Kids Club for kids 4-12 years
• Free Lairo Club for teenagers 13-16 years
• Up to 2 kids 12 years and under eat free from the kids buffet menu when dining with a paying adult
• Kids 6 years and under eat free from the kids buffet menu when dining with a paying adult – (selected restaurants)
• Rooms are spacious and offer 2 bedroom options.
2. Cook Islands: Edgewater Resort & Spa
If you have a family holiday to organise, you can’t go far wrong with the Edgewater Resort & Spa. A 3.5 star Cook Island resort just 5 minutes’ drive from the International Airport - when they wail “are we there yet!” you can simply say yes.
Flanking the sheltered western coast of Rarotonga and set amidst six acres of lush beach-fronting grounds, you’re seconds from the sea. The purpose-built Coconut Kids' club is available for children aged 4 to 12. From drumming lessons to coconut painting and lessons on local culture, pint-sized guests are entertained around the clock. Including between 7-9pm, which is one of the club’s three sessions, and perfect when parents want to dine just as a duo.
The Coconut Kids’ Club operates three sessions per day (Sunday is left free for families to be together)
Monday to Saturday:
9.00am to 12.00 noon
2.00pm to 5.00pm
7.00pm to 9.00pm
Everyone will enjoy the swimming pool, direct beach access and tennis courts, as well as the games room and regular cultural performances running alongside the buffet. For other nights, there’s also the resort’s Spaghetti House serving classic Italian dishes, and everyone knows kids love spaghetti, red sauce and cheese.
• Good value option for families
• Extensive range of activities on offer
• Free Coconut Kids Club for those aged 4-12 years
• Plenty of accommodation options, including interconnecting rooms. The apartments and villas are great for families that need extra space.
3. Vanuatu: Warwick Le Lagon Vanuatu
A popular one for both couples and families, the Warwick Le Lagon is large enough to accommodate every style of holiday-goer. Set in 75 acres of immaculate grounds, kids will love to run around and explore the tropical gardens, while parents won’t say no to a massage in the day spa. There’s a 12-hole golf course for dad, two swimming pools for the kids, and mum gets to walk to the beach in less than one minute. If your family are more sports-inclined, you don’t have to go far to reach the resort’s tennis courts and fully equipped fitness centre. Or, if you’re all water bunnies, complimentary water sports include snorkelling, windsurfing, kayaking and canoeing. As a family you can embark on a glass-bottomed boat called The Reef Lady which sails daily and soaks up all of the impressive coral views. In total there are three restaurants and two bars, and when you’re desperate to hit the latter, there’s the kids’ club. However, if your tots are under five and you fancy a night to yourselves, it is a requirement to hire a nanny after 5pm.
• Extensive range of activities on offer
• Up to 2 kids under 12 eat free from the kids menu when dining with an adult (selected restaurants)
• Free Kids Club for kids 3-12 years
• Interconnecting rooms available
4. Samoa: Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort
For families who crave something a little more deluxe, or for those who have older kids in the clan, the Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort is a high-end complex set in 224 acres of tropical gardens. Just five minutes’ drive from Faleolo International Airport, you’ll be off the plane and on the beach within an hour. The water’s calm and there are very few waves so it’s perfect for children. There’s also a beautiful lagoon-style pool as well as a kids’ club, day spa and five onsite restaurants, so everyone’s catered for. You’ll find very little need to leave this 4.5 star resort, with live entertainment every night and weekly traditional dance shows, the only thing you might require are (less-spensy) snacks and food; pack a few crisps and lollies in airtight containers. This is the perfect location for families to unwind; the essential flop and drop for your entire tribe.
• Located a few minutes from the airport - no long transfers for kids
• Extensive range of activities on offer
• Free kids club for kids 4-12 years
• You can register your kids for Siva dance lessons and they will have a chance to perform at the beginning of the Fia Fia show on Friday nights
• Interconnecting rooms available
5. London: No 1 The Mansions by Mansley, Kensington
In the middle of London’s Earls Court, convenience and comfort come together at No. 1 The Mansions by Mansley. Luxurious and spacious, these fully serviced apartments offer the flexibility of self-catered accommodation combined with easy-access to all of London’s top attractions. Choose from one, two or three bedroom apartments just off the high street, complete with traditional British facades, cast iron railings and Victorian steps leading to a grand, slick black door. Internally, the decor is distinctly more contemporary, without losing its quaintly English edge. Expect slick kitchen appliances sitting alongside paintings depicting stately manor houses. On your doorstep you have The Natural History Museum within one kilometre; Stanford Bridge (Chelsea’s footie grounds) are just a 20 minute walk away, and Santander Cycle dock is also just 20 minutes on foot. From here you can cheaply hire a bike and explore the rest of the city's famed attractions, from The Science Museum to the Queen’s hangout; Buckingham Palace.
- In the middle of Earls Court
- Lots of places to eat nearby
- Close to shops and supermarkets to stock up on food (you have a kitchen)
- Marks & Spencer food is nearby
- Close to tube and buses
- Choose from 1, 2 or 3 bedroom apartments
6. Hawaii: Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Hilton’s Hawaiian Village on the island of O’ahu. Where do we even begin? As the name suggests, this is less of a resort and more of a Utopian-like community. With a whopping 20 restaurants and lounges, 90 shops and an absolutely enormous private lagoon, you could stay here for weeks and never even venture into Waikiki.
A good deal quieter than the main Waikhiki hub, The Hilton enjoys the best location on the main beach, with five separate towers divided by the glorious lagoon, both enjoying fantastic views across the island. The dining is so extensive, you’ll find big brands such as Pizza Hut and Starbucks within the complex, and you can start the day with a Sculpt, Yoga or Tai Chi session on the ‘Village Green’, followed by a plethora of family-friendly activities such as ukulele lessons and lei making. Once your kids hit the colossal lagoon, they won’t want to get out. Calm, safe and separate from the sea, it’s ideal for kayaking, SUP boarding and surf lessons. After exerting yourselves all day, enjoy a child-friendly movie under the stars every Wednesday and Saturday, as well as the hotel’s world-renowned firework display every Friday night.
7. Anaheim – Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel & Water Playground
- Best stretch of beach on Waikiki
- A water lover's dream. Offering five swimming pools (and a sixth for kids)
- Lounge poolside with a tropical cocktail.
- Play with he kids in the Keiki (children's) Pool.
- Kids Club: Camp Penguin
If you fancy the Disney experience, at a price that won’t give you kittens, the Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel & Water Playground is just an eight minute walk from Disneyland Resort, while still enjoying its own non-Disney vibe. If you’re in the area, this hotel delivers on price, cleanliness, staff and amenities, with its very own onsite waterpark complete with drench buckets, slides and water cannons. Between the hotel and Disneyland Resort park there are various dining establishment en route, allowing you to stop on the way for breakfast (or a return dinner) for non-theme park prices. Aside from Disneyland Resort on the doorstep, the hotel also features a swimming pool, hot tub, arcade area and free WiFi in all rooms. Book a tower room on a high floor and you might just get the perfect spot for viewing the acclaimed Disneyland Resort fireworks in the distance. It is 60km from LAX International Airport and the kids will no doubt be beyond delirious as soon as your plane hits the tarmac, but if you hire a car, you can prey they fall asleep in the back (okay we know they won’t) but bonus, there’s free guest parking per booking.
• Super convenient to Disneyland Resort – 8 minute walk
• Kids pool - Castaway Cove pirate themed water park is the only one in Anaheim outside of Disneyland Resort
• 30-foot pirate ship with slides, water cannons, fountains, toddler wading pool and drench bucket
• 15-person hot tub spa
• Garden pool, with a separate secluded area for swimming and relaxing
• Seven acres of walkways
• Lush gardens and six separate guest buildings with interior corridors
• The Games Room
• Rooms sleep up to five people and most offer a balcony.
8. Phuket: Centara Grand Beach Resort
Built into verdant hillside, Centara Grand Beach Resort grazes the golden shoreline of Karon Beach, and because it's mostly empty shoreline, you get your own patch of glorious golden sand.
You’re a one hour drive from Phuket International Airport and only a short distance from Phuket Town which is easy by taxi and will only take approximately 15 minutes. Arguably the most attractive aspect of Centara Grand Beach Resort is its five star prestige, complete with luxury amenities such as tennis courts, a fitness centre, games room and a top class spa. Better yet, you won’t feel like you’re sharing them with anyone. Plenty of green space and lush little enclaves possess an almost boutique-like feel, and yet the property has 262 guestrooms. There are an impressive four outdoor swimming pools, including a watery oasis which includes a waterslide, rock jump and lazy river, as well as a comprehensive children’s club which encourages kids to partake in painting, drawing, colouring games, art, the Thai language, water games and fish feeding, as well as play in the outdoor and indoor areas.
Much of the outdoor space is landscape garden, while the rest of the resort boasts seven dining options including two bars. The Cove offers all day dining and Mare is your number one go-to for classic Italian cuisine. Alternatively, there are plentiful restaurants close to the resort to explore.
• 45 - 60 minutes’ drive from Phuket International Airport
• 15 minutes by taxi from Phuket Town
• Beachfront location
• Spa Cenvaree will soothe all your tired and over-worked niggly bits
• Five restaurants and two bars
• Comprehensive table of children’s activities and events.
9. Bali: Bali Mandira Resort & Spa
The perks at the Bali Mandira Resort and Spa are bountiful, from Legian Beach which is on your doorstep, to the 1000-square-metre pool which will entice every family member. There’s also the dedicated Cening Kids' Club, with fully qualified (and English speaking) staff, as well as a whole host of boredom-busting activities such as movie time, reading and Balinese arts and crafts. If you’re after a few outer-resort activities, you’re in walking distance of both Kuta and Seminyak, and even more convenient, all external tours can be booked in the lobby. The main pool has two large water slides, a toddler pool, and a lagoon-style pool, perfect for afternoon sunbathing while the kids are kept busy bombing into the main pool. Room are spacious, comfortable and well-appointed; ask for two interconnecting rooms and double your family’s space. No one’s getting in each other’s way at the Bali Mandira.
• 10-minute walk to Beachwalk Shopping Mall
• Four outdoor swimming pools including kids' pool and a waterslide
• Onsite spa
• Free WiFi access throughout the property
• Balinese craft-making lessons
• Two restaurants and two bars/lounges, both with buffet and à la carte options
• Balinese cultural nights.
10. Gold Coast, Australia: Turtle Beach Resort
Families will want for nothing at Turtle Beach Resort on the Gold Coast. The word ‘bored’ isn’t even in their vocabulary in these neck of the woods. With full kitchen facilities, the self-catering option is a big appeal for most families, with fully contained one, two, three or four bedroom apartments each featuring a private balcony or patio overlooking the garden. Families can spread out and dine-in, reducing the stress of restaurant reservations. On-site, you’ll find three swimming pools, a mini golf course, tennis courts and the Splash Zone water park, while the entire resort is an easy 5 minutes' walk from the sands of the Gold Coast’s Mermaid Beach. Featuring free WiFi throughout, your kids will never be without connection, while onsite free parking makes hiring a car even easier. The Turtle Beach Resort also has a comprehensive kids’ holiday program, with fun activities, video games, party theme nights and movie screenings.
• Choice of fully self-contained one, two, three and four bedroom apartments
• Full kitchen facilities including oven, cooktop, microwave, dishwasher and all crockery, cutlery and cookware
• Laundry facilities
• 5 minutes’ walk from the beach
• 3 swimming pools
• On-site restaurant
• Free parking
• Splash Zone Water Park is also on-site and includes water slides, toddler slides, a dumping bucket, water cannons and a range of other water activities.
11. Sunshine Coast, Australia: Mantra Mooloolaba
Come rain or shine (but with a perennially blue sky, it’s mostly shine) the Mantra Mooloolaba Apartments on Australia’s Sunshine Coast offer the perfect beach escape for the family. A mere three minutes’ walk from the shoreline, its central location on the Esplanade allows for ample dining, activities, shops and public transport. The resort alone boasts two heated swimming pools, a games room, and a rooftop terrace, bathed in sun rays and boasting beautiful views across the beachfront. Air-conditioned suites offer one, two or three bedroom set-ups, each with a private balcony and ocean or garden views. Facilities wise, guests are well looked after, with a kitchenette (or fully equipped kitchen) dining area and laundry facilities. There’s a spa, sauna and gazebo should you want to relax, and a fully equipped gym if you want to get fit. When you want to explore the culinary highlights dotted along the beach, there are choices to satisfy all palettes. From pub grub and 16 on-tap beers at the Irish bar, O’Malleys, to high-end a la carte feasts at Lemon and Thyme.
• 3 minutes’ walk from the beach
• 10 minutes' walk from Mooloolaba Beach
• 2 heated swimming pools
• Metres from several shops, restaurants and public transport
• Dining on the doorstep.
12. Sydney, Australia: Fraser Suites Sydney
If you’re looking for something a little bit special for your Sydney escape, the super slick Fraser Suites are exactly what you’d expect in a city as chic as this one. Perfect for both younger and older children, they fully accommodate parents with tiny tots, while the more mature kids will love the striking city views and easy access to Sussex and Dixon Streets; renowned for their quality Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese eating places. You’re just two minutes from Town Hall Station and a five minute walk from Darling Harbour. Your family can enjoy plenty of extra space with a two bedroom configuration, complete with well-appointed kitchen facilities, a dining area and lounge. Onsite there’s also a gym, sauna, indoor heated pool, spa and direct access to Regent Place, which is replete with stylish boutiques and intriguing bijou stores. There’s free Wi-Fi throughout, and because breakfast should always be easy, a buffet breakfast consisting of organic produce, fresh juice and gourmet coffee is available every morning.
• Luxury apartments
• Located in Sydney CBD (Central Business District)
• Gym, spa, sauna, hot tub and indoor heated swimming pool
• Less than 5 minutes’ walk to Darling Harbour
• Buffet breakfast
• Close proximity Chinatown and the Spanish Quarter
• Free Wi-Fi.
Whatever their age, family holidays are the best kind of holidays. Click here for all our current family holiday deals.